Sunday, October 28, 2007

Implications

As I have noticed the progression through my research, illegal immigration is not going to stop unless drastic measures are taken. It is obvious through Bush's actions, the government does not want immigration to stop completely but to be better controlled. With the further increase in border security that is supposed to occur in 2008, the number is going to decrease but not completely stop. I did read something that was confusing to me from two different sites because they were contradictory. One said that immigrants did pay taxes while another said that they knowingly fill out their W2 and W4 so the money they give is given right back. I'm a stifle bit perplexed on that but I believe in the future if immigration isn't at a halt and they refuse to get involved in the steps of becoming citizens, that there will be measures taken to see how long they stay. Sometimes they still play the system by leaving before their allotted time is up just to come back and do the same thing to avoid paying taxes. I think things like this will be better tracked and therefore they will be forced to pay taxes. Assimilation is increasing; English proficiency is growing and there is a decline in poverty.
Immigration is growing and will continue to do so whether we think it's harmful or beneficial. Cultures around American will be blended and jobs will get completed no matter if by native hand or foreign. It's up to citizens to decide how to deal with the increasing number of immigrants because it doesn't seem to be slowing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said that often times people leave before their alloted time is up, so they can return again and avoid paying taxes. Maybe a way to deal with this is granting them longer time periods that way we would be able to collect taxes from them? I dont know if this is reasonable but it seems that it could be a possible solution.

Anonymous said...

I am an illegal immigran working at Burger King and I do not fill out W4 because I fear the INS may deport me if they find out about my residence.

lashawna said...

It is hsrd to say if your suggestion will help because there are those who purposely deceive us with not paying their taxes but assumably this might encourage them to help because they'll have a longer time to collect taxes.