Saturday, October 27, 2007

look at how much i've grown!!!

At the beginning of this assignment, I thought this would be a straightforward assignment that would cause me little difficulties in deciding a certain aspect on. Immigration, to me, has always been disadvantageous to American citizens because of what we imagine we have to give up for them. My primary views and opinions may have distorted the facts of this topic. When re-analyzing this "predicament", I began to see the perspectives of both sides of the spectrum. This caused me to be more on the fence about my topic rather than completely biased about the situation we are currently having. I'm certainly glad that I was shown another light through research of the topic because it caused me to write more impartial to my feelings. This was through much time, research and conflicting comments on my blog. I will definitely never agree with the way that immigrants don't have to pay taxes. I feel that if they are here for a lengthy amount of time, immigrants should help in the payment of educating their kids among other things. Jobs will always be a debatable subject in this issue. I've changed enough from my previous ways of thinking to realize that they do deserve a better life. This is currently not possible in Mexico and Americas is the next best option. I don't, however, think they should stay here indefinitely. Overpopulation will become a problem that once it is accomplished will be hard to return from. This problem is definitely occurring in California recently. I hope that in my indecisiveness I haven't confused you on how exactly I feel. I want immigrants to have the opportunities of everyone else but not be allowed to stay unless they are involving themselves in the process of becoming a citizen. Although I do believe in the leniency of the government towards immigrants so that they can have better jobs, not all people have the same opinion as me. Numerous amounts of people think that these immigrants are taking jobs from older people that should go to our next generation and not to them. They feel as if immigrants are given extra advantages that citizens don't. This would include lower tuition rates and jobs. In essence, its not unusual to be hesitant to pick a side on a difficult topic as this because apparently the government is also. In 2006, the Senate passed a reform to have tighter border security and yet decided to have legalization for those who live in America illegally. This was voted against by the House but this proves the different feelings people have towards it. Many Americans feel complete opposition to the migration to the states because they feel as if they take advantage of us of our generosity. Immigrants have had major effects on America. It is difficult to accurately say what effects have been due to the increase of immigration or if any other factors caused it. They do, in fact, lower wages for citizens. It has been proven that the wages for low-skilled native workers were reduced by 2.4 percent after the arrival of immigrants but no changes were found in professional workers. America is the great melting pot and we welcome different cultures, lifestyles, languages because that's what makes America such a great place to live in. And as our national anthem ask, "does that star spangled banner yet wave O’er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?" It only can if we let it.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Do you have any ideas on how to make your views become realities? What do you want to happen right now? Do you think that immigrants that are here now should be kicked out or do they get to stay (if it is outlawed)? How do you feel about immigration in the future?

lashawna said...

There is really nothing to be done now about the immigrants here. I think that there should be tighter control on the borders and that somehow there time here should be monitored if they are just here for work. Immigration is, in my opinion, not going to cease but maybe will be monitored more closely.